Prelius Cabernet Sauvignon, Maremma Toscana DOC — 2020
- The Label: Represents the fluid, the essence of the ancient costal lake of Prelius, what now is known as the Maremma Toscana around Grosseto. The lake has slowly disappeared due to the drainage during the 1930’s and now the only fluid that’s left is the excellent wine making tradition of the region. The vineyards of Prelius are located on a hilltop along the shores of the ancient lake, 5 miles from the sea facing the majestic Tuscan Archipelago.
- Vineyards: Prile
- Appellation: Maremma Toscana DOC
- Cultivation: 100% organic
- Composition: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Size: 212 hectares (29.7 acres) total; 6.35 hectares (15.7 acres) planted to Cabernet Sauvignon
- Vine Age: Planted 2001-2004
- Soil: 80% sand, 15% clay, 5% silt and gravel
- Elevation: 37-52 meters (120-170 feet)
- Exposure: South-southeast
- Density: 8,649-9,884 vines/hectare (3,500-4,000 vines/acre)
- Training: Guyot
The 2020 vintage began with a relatively warm winter and spring that resulted in the vines budding and flowering early. Temperatures only dropped in the first 3 weeks of June only to rise again immediately and remained high throughout the summer. We had a particularly dry winter and spring with almost no rain in summer, only to start again towards the end of August and during the harvest. The summer was generally hot and dry with harvest taking place a few days earlier than usual.
- Harvest Date(s): September 24-October 19
- Barrel Aging: 6 months in 30 Hl casks of French oak
- Varietal Composition: 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Alcohol: 13.5%
- TA: 4.9 g/L
- RS: .5 g/L
The nose is expressive, displaying aromas of blackberry, blueberry, and a hint of cinnamon rounding out with seductive oak notes. Color is bright with an intense gem-like quality paired with dark violet highlights. It is a full-bodied wine that displays solid structure and complexity; exhibiting dark red fruit and a lingering finish.