Chianti Classico DOCG — 2021
- The Label: The Chianti Classico label features the Commenda di Sant’Eufrosino, the second of four churches built within the city’s walls. Attributed to Italian architect and sculptor Michelozzo di Bartolomeo (1396- 1472), the church was built in 1443 by request of the Canigiani family who lived in Volpaia. One of the family members wished to join the Knights of Malta, a religious order and military brotherhood ruled by a Grand Master that answered only to the Pope. The Knights of Malta required that the Canigianis build a church in Volpaia before joining the religious order. The Commenda was deconsecrated in 1932 and declared a national monument in 1981. For 13 years, until 1993, the Commenda housed a renowned art collection. The Commenda is now used for dinners, tastings and other events and its basement contains one of Volpaia’s barrel-aging cellars.
- Vineyards: Campo a Pitti, Casavecchia, Casetto, Castellino, Campo a Prato, Montanino, Pratolino, Santa Caterina, Santa Maria Novella, Vignavecchia
- Cultivation: Certified organic
- Vine Age: Planted 1972-2004
- Soil: All vineyards have light soils consisting of sandstone except Castellino (clay) and Santa Maria Novella (clay), and Montanino (sandstone and clay).
- Elevation: On slopes between 1,300 – 1,870 ft.
- Exposure: South, southeast, southwest, east-southeast
- Density: 1,038-2,306 vines/acre
- Training: Guyot
The 2021 vintage began with a rather hot March which was followed by a sharp drop in temperature at the beginning of April. Fortunately, this did not cause much damage to the buds. April and May were characterized by lower than average temperatures and plenty of rain. Summer was very hot and there was very little rainfall. From mid-August temperatures became milder with little rain continuing. The harvest began slightly earlier than usual.
- Harvest Date(s): Hand picked; Beginning of September until mid October 2021
- Barrel Aging: 12 months in large casks
- Varietal Composition: 90% Sangiovese, 10% Merlot
- Alcohol: 13.5%
- TA: 5.8 g/L
- RS: 0.5 g/L
The Chianti Classico has a vivid ruby color and a strong nose of fresh red fruit with hints of cherry. This is a well-structured wine with a fruity finish.