Chianti Classico Riserva DOCG – 2012
The Volpaia Chianti Classico Riserva label features the della Volpaia family coat of arms. The family took its name from the village of Volpaia itself. Lorenzo della Volpaia (1446-1512), an architect, goldsmith, mathematician and clockmaker, founded a Florentine dynasty of clockmakers and scientific-instrument makers that included his sons Camillo, Benvenuto and Eufrosino, and nephew Girolamo. As clockmaker, Lorenzo gained fame and honor with the construction of the Orologio dei Pianeti (Planetary Clock). Lorenzo also built the clock at the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence. He was a friend of Leonardo da Vinci and took part in the discussions on the placement of Michelangelo’s David. The della Volpaia family instruments are on display at the Science Museums in Florence and Greenwich (United Kingdom), the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence and the Adler Planetarium in Chicago.
- The Label:
- Vineyards: Casavecchia, Casetto, Castellino, Campo a Prato, Pratolino, Santa Caterina, Santa Maria Novella, Vignavecchia
- Cultivation: Certified organic
- Vine Age: Planted 1994-2010
- Soil: All vineyards have light soil consisting of sandstone except Castellino and Santa Maria Novella, which are composed of clay.
- Elevation: On slopes between 400 and 570 meters (1,300 and 1,870 feet)
- Exposure: South, southeast, southwest
- Density: 2,564-5,682 vines/hectare (1,038-2,300 vines/acre)
- Training: Guyot
2012 summer was one of the hottest and driest seasons ever at Volpaia and possibly in the whole of Tuscany. Temperatures were very often above-average and rain that was copious in the spring months suddenly disappeared for the remainder of the season, causing stress to the plants. Rainfall for the first days of September, followed by a period of good weather, permitted a good trend of ripeness. Yields were very low.
- Harvest Date(s): October 2-10
- Barrel Aging: 24 months in 80% Slovenian and French oak casks and 20% new French oak barriques
- Varietal Composition: 100% Sangiovese
- Alcohol: 13.5%
- TA: 4.9g/L
The Chianti Classico Riserva has a ruby-red hue with a trace of garnet. The nose is elegant, displaying hints of spice and fruit. This a well-structured wine with smooth tannins and a long finish.
Chianti Classico Riserva DOCG – 2012 – 91 points – Wine Spectator
"Vibrant and harmonious, offering floral, strawberry, cherry and spice flavors allied to a delicate frame. Lingers with fruit and mineral notes on the finish."
Chianti Classico Riserva DOCG – 2012 – 92 points – vinous
“Dark red cherry, plum, smoke, mint and sweet spices are all woven together in a flashy, mid-weight Riserva that should continue to drink well for at least a handful of years, perhaps beyond. Crushed flowers and a hint of rose petal add the final..”
Chianti Classico Riserva DOCG – 2012 – 93 points – Wine Enthusiast
"Made with organically farmed Sangiovese, the juicy, delicious palate doles out ripe black cherry, fleshy blackberry, white pepper, licorice and grilled herb. It’s open and well balanced, with firm, polished tannins."