Chianti Classico Riserva DOCG – 2014
The Volpaia Chianti Classico Riserva label features the della Volpaia family coat of arms. The family took its name from the village of Volpaia itself. Lorenzo della Volpaia (1446-1512), an architect, goldsmith, mathematician and clockmaker, founded a Florentine dynasty of clockmakers and scientific-instrument makers that included his sons Camillo, Benvenuto and Eufrosino, and nephew Girolamo. As clockmaker, Lorenzo gained fame and honor with the construction of the Orologio dei Pianeti (Planetary Clock). Lorenzo also built the clock at the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence. He was a friend of Leonardo da Vinci and took part in the discussions on the placement of Michelangelo’s David. The della Volpaia family instruments are on display at the Science Museums in Florence and Greenwich (United Kingdom), the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence and the Adler Planetarium in Chicago.
- The Label:
- Vineyards: Casavecchia, Casetto, Castellino, Campo a Prato, Pratolino, Santa Caterina, Santa Maria Novella, Vignavecchia
- Cultivation: Certified organic
- Vine Age: Planted 1970-2002
- Soil: All vineyards have light soil consisting of sandstone except Castellino and Santa Maria Novella, which are composed of clay.
- Elevation: On slopes between 400 and 600 meters (1,300 and 1,970 feet)
- Exposure: South, southeast, southwest
- Density: 2,564-5,682 vines/hectare (1,038-2,300 vines/acre)
- Training: Guyot
The year 2014 was fresh with frequent rains specially in spring and summer. Temperatures were very high in the second half of July, instead August was not very hot. The beginning of September a few rains started but mid-September the rain stopped and we had good weather until the end of the harvest. Ripeness of grapes was slow and the harvest started later than usually.
- Harvest Date(s): October 6 - October 14
- Barrel Aging: 24 months in 80% Slovenian and French oak casks and 20% new French oak barriques
- Varietal Composition: 100% Sangiovese
- Alcohol: 14%
- TA: 5.6g/L
The Chianti Classico Riserva has a ruby-red hue with a trace of garnet. The nose is elegant, displaying hints of spice and fruit. This a well-structured wine with smooth tannins and a long finish.
Chianti Classico Riserva DOCG – 2014 – 93 points – Wine Enthusiast
"...aromas of wild berry, violet and sandalwood ... bright, savory and linear ... Morello cherry, black raspberry and baking spice framed in vibrant acidity and refined tannins. A fantastic showing and unusually expressive for the cool, wet vintage."
Chianti Classico Riserva DOCG – 2014 – 93 points – Vinous
“... bold, powerful wine that is going to need a few years to soften and come into its own. Wild cherry, tobacco, lavender, menthol, licorice and exotic spice overtones abound. The more virile side of Sangiovese is very much in evidence here..."
Chianti Classico Riserva DOCG – 2014 – 92 points – The Planet Grape
"Mellow and creamy then brisk, dry, and lightly chewy with notes of sour plum, sun dried tomato, oregano, Fernet Branca and pink rose."
Chianti Classico Riserva DOCG – 2014 – 91 points – James Suckling
“A firm and silky red with blueberry, bark and blanched walnut character. Medium body. Lightly austere finish. Nicely done for 2014.”