Te Mata Estate

Hawke's Bay, New Zealand

Estate Gamay Noir, Hawke’s Bay — 2022

download facts sheet Download tasting notes where to buy
  • Introduction

    • Sourced exclusively from Te Mata Estate’s own vineyards, the Estate Wines represent the best qualities of their variety, vintage and Hawke’s Bay origin.

  • Vineyard Profile

    • In 1995, Te Mata Estate introduced to New Zealand a superior selection of Gamay Noir à Jus Blanc, the grape variety of the best wines of France’s Beaujolais region. Estate Gamay Noir 2022 is a single vineyard wine from Te Mata Estate’s Woodthorpe Terraces vineyard, harvested on March 10-11, 2022.

    • Appellation: Hawke's Bay
  • Vinification

    • The unique ‘maceration carbonique’ fermentation, which enhances the fruit and floral aromas of the wine, was used for 60% of the grapes. The other 40% received a traditional, warm, red wine fermentation. The resulting wines completed their malolactic fermentation and were matured for nine weeks in seasoned French oak barrels, before blending and bottling.

  • Technical Information

    • Varietal Composition: 100% Gamay Noir à Jus Blanc
    • Alcohol: 12.0%
    • TA: 5.6 g/L
    • p H: 3.58
  • Tasting Notes

    • An electric, candy-apple red, fresh, and full of appeal, the Estate Gamay Noir 2022 charms with intense wild strawberry, bubble-gum
      aromatics, and notes of ripe watermelon and red cherry. The palate is goose-down soft, creamy, and lightly spiced with clove, anise, and cinnamon. Estate Gamay Noir 2022 is a marriage of tempting textures, and summer bright, ultra-ripe, red-fruit freshness.

    • Serving Suggestions: This is an incredibly versatile wine, partnering with any food and is particularly good with tapas, matching its vibrant fruit and soft tannins.