Indaco, Toscana IGT – 2013
Indaco (in-da-ko) is Italian for “indigo.” It is often the color of the sky at sunset at Tenuta Sette Cieli.
- Grape Source: 100% estate vineyards
- Location: Hillside vineyards surrounded by the lush woods of Monteverdi Marittimo between Bolgheri and Castagneto Carducci overlooking the Mediterranean Sea
- Cultivation: 100% organic (not certified); all work is done by hand
- Size: 17.3 acres
- Vine Age: Planted 2001-2002
- Soil: Medium-textured; black slate, granite rock and clay
- Elevation: 400 meters (1,312 feet) above sea level
- Density: 9,300 vines/hectare (3,765 vines/acre)
- Training: Cordon and guyot
It was an interesting vintage, one of the best in the last 5-6 years. Very warm summer, without stress, good development of vegetation providing excellent ripeness of the fruits
- Harvest Date(s): September 20 - October 20
- Fermentation: In stainless-steel tanks at controlled temperatures; with indigenous yeast; 100% malolactic
- Maceration: Cold with dry ice for 6-7 days
- Barrel Aging: 18 months in 60-gallon French oak (35% new)
- Varietal Composition: 40% Malbec, 30% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Merlot
- Alcohol: 14.5%
Malbec, Cabernet and Merlot come together perfectly in this stimulating, complex, and structured wine, better expressing the complex and rich terroir with spicy and red-fruit aromas. Freshness, structure, persistence — this is a wine that preserves unchanged traits of the original season and terroir, intensified by 18 months in barriques.
Indaco, Toscana IGT – 2013 – 93+ points – Vinous
"... The 2013 possesses striking aromatic intensity and depth ... The black cherry, lavender, graphite, menthol and plum flavors are all given an extra kick of aromatic drive from the Franc. This is very pretty and expressive wine from Sette Cieli."
Indaco, Toscana IGT – 2013 – 90 points – Wine & Spirits
“ ... It’s a voluptuous wine with flavors of ripe black plum accented with notes of tobacco and dark chocolate, a little brash now, but with lift and energy that will allow it to improve over the next several years.”
Indaco, Toscana IGT – 2013 – 92 points – Wine Spectator Insider
“Focused on fresh, pure cherry and floral flavors, ... lip-smacking and lively. A dense structure lends support as this clings to the palate on the very long finish. Serious tannins need
time to soften. Malbec, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. ..."
Indaco, Toscana IGT – 2013 – 92 points – Wine Enthusiast
"This blend of 40% Malbec, 30% Merlot and 30% Cabernet Sauvignon opens with ripe blackberry, underbrush and cedar aromas. Concentrated and juicy, the palate doles out black currant, bilberry, mint and licorice flavors, framed by chewy tannins..."