Indaco, Toscana IGT – 2017
Indaco (in-da-ko) is Italian for “indigo.” It is often the color of the sky at sunset at Tenuta Sette Cieli.
- Vineyards: Monteverdi Marittimo (Livorno)
- Grape Source: 100% estate vineyards
- Cultivation: 100% organic (not certified); all work is done by hand
- Size: 10 hectares (24.7 acres)
- Vine Age: Planted 2001-2002
- Soil: Medium-textured; black slate, granite rock and clay
- Elevation: 400 meters (1,312 feet) above sea level
- Density: 9,300 vines/hectare (3,765 vines/acre)
- Training: Guyot
2017 was a dry and warm vintage. The 100% estate vineyards are located 1,312 feet above sea level, which allowed the fresh air and higher humidity to create the optimal environment for good polyphenolic ripening. This vintage is a balanced, full-bodied wine with ripe aromas.
- Fermentation: In stainless-steel tanks at controlled temperatures; with indigenous yeast; 100% malolactic
- Maceration: Cold with dry ice for 6-7 days
- Aging: 18 months in French oak (35% new)
- Varietal Composition: 34% Malbec, 33% Cabernet Sauvignon, 33% Merlot
- Alcohol: 14.5%
Malbec, Cabernet and Merlot come together perfectly in this stimulating, complex and structured wine, better expressing the complex and rich terroir with spicy and red-fruit aromas. Freshness, structure, persistence — this is a wine that preserves unchanged traits of the original season and terroir, intensified by 18 months in French oak.
Indaco, Toscana IGT – 2017 – Vinous – 94 Points
"The 2017 Indaco is fabulous. Rich, ample and explosive, with tremendous depth, the 2017 saturates the palate with tons of intensity. Inky red/purplish fruit, blood orange, mint, licorice and spice flesh out effortlessly. The 2017 is a big wine, but it also has plenty of energy to keep things in check. Gorgeous"