Pinot Gris, AOC Alsace – 2015
Alsace has been celebrated for its lovely, dry white wines for centuries. In the heart of Alsace’s finest district, the Haut-Rhin, Maison Pierre Sparr follows a 300-year-old tradition of winemaking that began during the reign of King Louis XIV. Since 1680, the Sparr family’s passion for viticulture and winemaking has passed from one generation to the next. Today, the devotion to the land, the attention to the smallest detail and the uncompromising quest for excellence can been seen in every bottle bearing the Sparr crest.
- Appellation: Alsace Controlée
- Location: From Thann in the Haut-Rhin to Kintzheim in the Bas-Rhin (80.5 kilometers, or 50 miles, north to south)
- Size: 14 hectares (34.6 acres)
- Vine Age: 34 years
- Soil: Granite, limestone, gneiss, chalky-clay
- Harvest Date(s): End of September
- Yields: 75 hl/ha (5.6 tons/acre)
- Fermentation: Traditional, no skin contact, temperature controlled, no malolactic
- Aging: Stainless-steel tanks
- Varietal Composition: 100% Pinot Gris
- Alcohol: 13%
- TA: 4.1g/L
- RS: 11.7g/L
This Pinot Gris is yellow-gold. Aromas of warm earth, autumn leaves and juicy apricots are prominent with subtle undertones of minerals. On the palate it is soft with a delicate sweetness-to-acidity ratio, a fancy minerality and a firm, sleek body crowned by a touch of smoky bacon and spice on the finish.