Pinot Gris, AOC Alsace – 2016
Alsace has been celebrated for its lovely, dry white wines for centuries. In the heart of Alsace’s finest district, the Haut-Rhin, Maison Pierre Sparr follows a 300-year-old tradition of winemaking that began during the reign of King Louis XIV. Since 1680, the Sparr family’s passion for viticulture and winemaking has passed from one generation to the next. Today, the devotion to the land, the attention to the smallest detail and the uncompromising quest for excellence can been seen in every bottle bearing the Sparr crest.
- Appellation: Alsace Controlée
- Location: From Geubwiller in the Haut-Rhin to Marlenheim in the Bas-Rhin
- Size: 9 hectares (22 acres)
- Vine Age: 34 years
- Soil: Granite, limestone, gneiss, chalky-clay
- Harvest Date(s): Early October
- Yields: 75 hl/ha (5.6 tons/acre)
- Fermentation: Traditional, no skin contact, temperature controlled, no malolactic
- Aging: Stainless-steel tanks
- Varietal Composition: 100% Pinot Gris
- Alcohol: 13%
- TA: 5.2 g/L
- RS: 8 g/L
This Pinot Gris is yellow gold. Alluring aromas of juicy apricots and peaches are prominent with subtle undertones of minerals and forest floor. On the palate it has elegant opulence, a fancy minerality and a firm, sleek body crowned by a touch of smoke and spice on the finish.