Pont des Arts Rosé Vieilles Vignes Réserve Spéciale, IGP Vaucluse – 2016
The label is from an original and exclusive artwork by Miquel Barcelo, a world renowned spanish-born contemporary artist. A traveler since his early years, he fulfi lls a constant thirst for cultural diversity by sharing his time between Paris, Mali and his native Majorca. With infl uences as wide ranging as Velasquez, Tintoretto, Rembrandt and Dubuffet, he was the youngest artist ever to be exhibited at the Louvre and is currently exhibiting at the Picasso Museum in Paris. Drawing inspiration from his
Majorcan and Spanish culture, this vibrant artwork is a perfect metaphor for this aromatic and lively wine.
Pont des Arts is an exclusive, limited collection of wines, a bridge between art and wine that joins the best of international artists to a select group of outstanding French wines. The project is from the Pontallier family of Château Margaux and pairs a portfolio of outstanding French wines with works of fine art.
- Label Artist: The painting featured on the label is by Miquel Barceló, a world-renowned contemporary, Spanish-born artist. A constant traveler, Miquel seeks cultural diversity by dividing his time between Paris, Mali and his native Majorca. With influences as wide-ranging as Velasquez, Tintoretto, Rembrandt and Dubuffet, he was the youngest artist ever to be exhibited at the Louvre.
- The Label:
- Vineyards: La Verriere
- Appellation: IGP Vaucluse (Indication Geographique Protégée Vaucluse)
- Cultivation: Organic and biodynamic practices (not certified)
- Size: 30 hectares under cultivation (74 acres)
- Vine Age: 60 years
- Soil: Clay and limestone, very stony
- Elevation: 530 meters (1,739 feet)
- Exposure: Northwest-facing slope
- Density: 4,300 vines/hectare (1,740 vines/acre)
- Training: Double-cordon de Royat, 6 shoots per cordon
The 2016 harvest endured a wet winter and rainy spring, but an arid summer. Although two big rainfalls caused some concern during the harvest months, the majority of September and October was mostly sunny and dry, which created perfect conditions for the rosé.
- Harvest Date(s): September 28-October 24
- Yields: 27 hl/ha (2 tons/acre)
- Fermentation: Direct press, skin contact at time of pressing for 1.5 hours; cold fermentation, 75% in stainless steel
- Filtration: Tangential filtration
- Fining: Green pea powder
- Varietal Composition: 95% Grenache Noir, 5% Syrah
- Cases Imported: 20 cases
- Imported Case Pack: 6/750ml
- Alcohol: 13%
- TA: 5.8 g/L
- p H: 3.8
Appearance: Bright and clear delicate pale pink
Nose: Red currant, with notes of pink grapefruit and exotic fruits
Palate: Fresh, full-bodied, very fruity with notes of citrus; crisp and long on the finish
- Serving Suggestions: Serve lightly chilled to 14 C (57 F)
Pont des Arts Rosé Vieilles Vignes Réserve Spéciale, IGP Vaucluse – 2016 – 92 points – Jeb Dunnuck
"One of the gems is the 2016 Vaucluse Pont des Arts Rosé, which is up there with the finest Rosés produced. It offers beautiful strawberry, wild flowers, wet stone and framboise notes in a medium-bodied, clean, impeccably balanced style that spans the gap between the lightly flavors Provencal Rosés and the richer Tavel styled Rosés. It’s going to shine on the dinner table over the coming summer months, and I suspect drink nicely even through the winter."
Pont des Arts Rosé Vieilles Vignes Réserve Spéciale, IGP Vaucluse – 2016 – 92 points – Vinous
"Brilliant orange-pink. High-pitched red berry and blood orange aromas are complemented by suggestions of lavender and chalky minerals. Juicy and incisive on the palate, offering refreshingly bitter red currant, cherry and orange zest flavors that show excellent clarity and a vibrant mineral undertone..."