Prile, Maremma Toscana DOC — 2016
The label represents the essence of the ancient coastal lake of Prelius, what now is known as the Maremma Toscana around Grosetto. The lake has slowly disappeared also due to the drainage of the 30s and now the only fluid that’s left is the excellent winemaking tradition of the region. The vineyards of Prelius are located on a hilltop along the shores of the ancient lake, 5 miles from the sea facing the majestic Tuscan Archipelago.
- Vineyards: Prile
- Size: 12 hectares (29.7 total acres): Cabernet Sauvignon 6.35 hectares (15.7 acres)
- Vine Age: Planted 2001-2004
- Soil: Sand (80%), clay (15%), silt (5%) and gravel
- Elevation: 37-52 meters (120-170 feet)
- Exposure: South-southeast
- Density: 8,649-9,884 vines/hectare (3,500-4,000 vines/acre)
- Training: Guyot
The 2016 growing season began with scattered showers over most of the spring. This wet weather cleared way into early summer as June yielded hot and dry conditions. Bud break, veraison, and maturation began earlier than normal. Balanced weather through late summer and early fall led to perfect grape ripeness and an abundant healthy harvest.
- Harvest Date(s): August 31 - September 8
- Barrel Aging: 18 months in French oak Barrique
- Varietal Composition: 40% Cabernet Sauvignon - 40% Sangiovese - 20% Merlot
- Imported Case Pack: 12/750ml
- Alcohol: 14.5%
- TA: 5.26 g/L
- RS: 1.5 g/L
Color: Intense red ruby with purplish highlights.
Perfume: Intense fruity hits of plump, black cherries and wild blackberry jam. These perfumes are well mixed with sweet spices, aromas, and balsamic nuances.
Flavor: Juicy and powerful mouth with a thick texture and lush aftertaste, long and persistent.
Prelius Prile, Maremma Toscana DOC — 2016 – Vinous – 94 Points
It offers all the richness that is typical of the Tuscan coast. Blackberry jam, licorice, bittersweet chocolate, mocha and sweet spice give this dark, voluptuous red quite a bit of complexity. The 2016 is very nicely done.
Prelius Prile, Maremma Toscana DOC — 2016 – Vinous – 93 Points
Powerful and yet inviting, the 2016 offers quite a bit of character and depth. Black cherry, plum, spice, tobacco, licorice and espresso fill out the layers effortlessly as this plush, resonant Maremma red shows off its considerable charm.