Red Label, 5 Puttonyos, Tokaj – 2000
Six vintages of the Royal Tokaji Red Label have been produced since its premier release of the 1990 vintage. Since then, the Red Label wine has been made in 1991, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1999 and 2000. This wine is a blend of carefully selected grapes from several of Royal Tokaji’s vineyards.
- Appellation: Tokaj
The 2000 vintage was one of the warmest and driest vintages in years. The sugar levels of the grapes were high, however, there wasn’t any botrytis because of the very dry ripening period.
- Harvest Date(s): Mid-September to early November
- Barrel Aging: 4 years
- Bottled: End of April 2005
- Varietal Composition: Furmint, Hárslevelú, Muscat
- Production (in cases): 26,000 cases
- Production Case Pack: 6/500ml
- Cases Imported: 2,230
- Alcohol: 12.3%
- TA: 10.5g/L
- RS: 180g/L
The 2000 Red Label is straw-colored with a hint of gold. On the nose, there are fruit aromas dominated by apricot and quince, with a lovely touch of wild flowers and orange peel. The palate exhibits ripe orange, figs and orange and grapefruit peel flavors, with a hint of honey at the end. This is a well-balanced wine, with a nice velvety texture and excellent length.
- Serving Suggestions: Serve slightly chilled (50-54°F) in a small port glass or a glass of similar size (there are approximately eight two-ounce servings per 500ml bottle). Tokaji Aszú wines are wonderful on their own as an apéritif or as a digestif, with cigars and petits fours. These wines also pair well with a wide variety of foods, including foie gras, fruit tarts, chocolate desserts and blue and soft cheeses.
Red Label, 5 Puttonyos, Tokaj – 2000 – Four stars – Decanter
“Very rich. Lots of concentration, dried fruit with minerality. Lively, fresh palate, good complexity, intense marmalade character. Great length.”
Red Label, 5 Puttonyos, Tokaj – 2000 – 94 points, Rank 97 – Wine Enthusiast
“An amazing wine that is a benchmark for its class. Pure scents of dried apricot, citrus, jasmine and melon are coated with Asian spices, while the mouth is honeyed but nuanced, with flavors of dried spices, apricot marmalade and citrus fruits....”
Red Label, 5 Puttonyos, Tokaj – 2000 – 3 stars, Wines of the Month – Decanter
The Best Affordable Wines to Snap Up and Drink Now
“This latest release has fresh marmalade aromas with a hint of minerality. A well balanced wine from a great vintage. Up to 10 years.”
Red Label, 5 Puttonyos, Tokaj – 2000 – 88 points – Wine & Spirits
“This offers bushels of citrus, from lemon to orange marmalade. It’s sweet yet fresh, bold yet refined, and ought to gain in complexity over the next decade.”