Castelprile Rosso, Maremma Toscana DOC — 2018
The label represents the fluid, the essence of the ancient costal lake of Prelius, what now is known as the Maremma Toscana around Grosseto. The lake has slowly disappeared also due to the drainage of the 30s and now the only fluid that’s left is the excellent wine making tradition of the region. The vineyards of Prelius are located on a hilltop along the shores of the ancient lake, 5 miles from the sea facing the majestic Tuscan Archipelago.
- Vineyards: Prile
- Appellation: Maremma Toscana DOC
- Size: 12 hectares (29,7 acres) tot. 6,35 hectares (15,7 acres) planted to Cabernet Sauvignon
- Vine Age: 2001-2004
- Soil: Sand (80%), clay (15%), silt (5%) and gravel
- Elevation: 120 - 170 feet
- Exposure: South-southeast
- Density: 3,500-4,000 vines/acre
- Training: Guyot
April was unusually warm and this brought an early bud break, while May was rainy with low temperature. Starting from June we had a mild and good weather, with scattered weak rains. Veraison was anticipated while the harvest took place like other years.
- Harvest Date(s): August 31 - September 4
- Barrel Aging: 18 months in French oak Barrique
- Varietal Composition: 40% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Sangiovese, 20% Merlot
- Alcohol: 14%
- TA: 5.5 g/L
Color: Intense red ruby with purplish highlights
Nose: Intense fruity hits of plumps, black cherries and wild blackberries jam. These perfumes are well mixed with sweet spices aromas and balsamic nuances.
Flavor: Juicy and powerful mouth with a thick texture and a juicy aftertaste long and persistent.
Rosso Riserva, Maremma Toscana — 2018 – Wine Advocate – 93 Points
“The Castelprile della Volpaia 2018 Maremma Toscana Rosso is a generous, full-bodied red wine with hot-climate aromas of dried blackberry, plum and cherry. Those dark primary fruit aromas are framed by toasted oak and sweet cinnamon thanks to 18 months in barrique.”