Scipio, Toscana IGT – 2009
Scipio (skeep-e-oh) was a famous Roman military general and statesman who defeated Hannibal at the final battle of the Second Punic War in 202 BC.
- Grape Source: 100% estate vineyards
- Location: Hillside vineyards surrounded by the lush woods of Monteverdi Marittimo between Bolgheri and Castagneto Carducci overlooking the Mediterranean Sea
- Cultivation: 100% organic; all work is done by hand
- Size: 17.3 acres
- Vine Age: Planted 2001-2002
- Soil: Medium-textured; black slate, granite rock and clay
- Elevation: 1,300 feet
- Density: 3,760 vines/acre
- Training: Guyot
A warm summer led to good development in the vineyards. Despite rain at the end of harvest, the vineyards yielded excellently ripened fruit.
- Harvest Date(s): October 15-20
- Fermentation: In stainless-steel tanks at controlled temperatures; with indigenous yeast; 100% malolactic
- Maceration: Cold with dry ice for 6-7 days
- Barrel Aging: 24 months in 60-gallon French oak (40% new)
- Varietal Composition: 100% Cabernet Franc
- Alcohol: 14.5%
The different lots of Cabernet Franc that went into the 2009 Scipio were vinified separately, resulting in a unique wine that seduces with its fruity aromas and spicy notes. This is complex wine of concentration, balance and finesse.
Aging Potential: 25-30 years
Scipio, Toscana IGT – 2009 – 91 points – Wine Spectator
"Dark and brooding, this dense red exudes plum, blackberry, tar and iron flavors, building to a long, tobacco-laced aftertaste. Think grilled beef or wild boar."
Scipio, Toscana IGT – 2009 – 90 points, Year’s Best Tuscan Reds – Wine & Spirits
“…this 100 percent cabernet franc is firm and concentrated, showing rich, dark fruit edged with leafy tobacco, menthol, spices and espresso. Its brawny tannins and ferrous mineral notes...”
Scipio, Toscana IGT – 2009 – Tasting: Tenuta Sette Cieli – Knives & Corks
“Organic…it has a fabulous leathery aroma...Tasting notes claim it is seductive with fruit aromas and spicy notes, and that it is complex with concentration.”
Scipio, Toscana IGT – 2009 – Good Neighbors – Robb Report
“This 100 percent Cabernet Franc exudes aromas of blueberry, blackberry, and bittersweet chocolate, while on the palate, leather, cinnamon, allspice, and sweet oregano precede the prolonged finish.”