Scipio, Toscana IGT – 2015
Scipio (skeep-e-oh) was a famous Roman military general and statesman who defeated Hannibal at the final battle of the Second Punic War in 202 BC.
- Grape Source: 100% estate vineyards
- Location: Hillside vineyards surrounded by the lush woods of Monteverdi Marittimo between Bolgheri and Castagneto Carducci overlooking the Mediterranean Sea
- Cultivation: 100% organic; all work is done by hand
- Size: 17.3 acres
- Vine Age: Planted 2001-2002
- Soil: Medium-textured; black slate, granite rock and clay
- Elevation: 1,300 feet
- Density: 3,760 vines/acre
- Training: Guyot
The 2015 growing season was a warm vintage, with good polyphenolic ripening, producing full body wines with lot of extraction and ripe aromas.
- Fermentation: In stainless-steel tanks at controlled temperatures; with indigenous yeast; 100% malolactic
- Maceration: Cold with dry ice for 6-7 days
- Barrel Aging: 24 months in 60-gallon French oak (40% new)
- Varietal Composition: 100% Cabernet Franc
- Alcohol: 15%
- TA: 4.99 g/L
- p H: 3.59
- RS: .40 g/L
The nose seduces with complex aromas of fruit and spicy notes. Its exquisite fi nesse and elegance combined with the complex structure make it a wine with a rare character, a meditation wine.
Tenuta Sette Cieli Scipio, Toscana IGT – 2015 – James Suckling – 91 Points
Dark-berry, walnut, wet-earth, herb and crushed-berry aromas and flavors. Medium body. Chewy tannins and a flavorful finish. Needs at least another year to soften. Try after 2020
Tenuta Sette Cieli Scipio, Toscana IGT — 2015 – Wine & Spirits – 90 Points
The warm, dry 2015 growing season brought full ripeness to the cabernet franc growing in Tenuta Sette Cieli's hillside vineyards overlooking the Tyrrhenian Sea. The wine is rich and soft, the flavors of red and black berries framed by notes of dark chocolate and sweet spice gained from two years in French oak barrels (40 percent new). Ample alcohol (15 percent) adds weight and warmth to the finish.
Tenuta Sette Cieli Scipio, Toscana, IGT – 2015 – Wine Enthusiast – 90 Points
This Cabernet Franc offers bell pepper, bay leaf and dark-skinned fruit aromas. The dense, round palate delivers prune, espresso and clove alongside chewy tannins. Drink through 2023.
Tenuta dei Sette Cieli Scipio, Toscana IGT – 2015 – The Wine Advocate – 92 Points
This is a pure expression of Cabernet Franc from Tenuta dei Sette Cieli. The 2015 Scipio shows dark fruit nuances that are presented with enormous precision and sharpness. Like the estate's blended red wine Indaco, this monovariety wine also shows a very dusty or dry side of carpentry shaving and crushed granite. Ultimately, this wine shows more balance because those dry notes are enhanced by blackberry, cherry confit and black currant all surrounded by spice and dry leather. Some 6,600 bottles were made.