Vermentino, Toscana IGT – 2019
- The Label: Represents the fluid, the essence of the ancient costal lake of Prelius, what now is known as the Maremma Toscana around Grosseto. The lake has slowly disappeared due to the drainage during the 1930’s and now the only fluid that’s left is the excellent wine making tradition of the region. The vineyards of Prelius are located on a hilltop along the shores of the ancient lake, 5 miles from the sea facing the majestic Tuscan Archipelago.
- Appellation: Toscana IGT
- Cultivation: 100% organic
- Composition: 100% Vermentino
- Size: 2.1 hectares (5 acres) total
- Vine Age: Planted in 2005
- Soil: 80% sand, 15% clay, 5% silt and gravel
- Elevation: 37-52 meters (120-170 feet)
- Exposure: South-southeast
- Density: 10,872 vines/hectare (4,400 vines/acre)
- Training: Guyot
Spring was fairly cool and rainy, particularly so in May. The summer was hot with occasional very high temperatures. As we had no irrigation water, luckily it rained occasionally during the second half of July. Phenologic changes were delayed and on all the vines the grapes did not ripen until well into September.
- Harvest Date(s): September 10 – September 17; manual harvest
In stainless-steel tanks; 6 months on the lees; aged 3 months in bottle.
- Alcohol: 13.5%
- TA: 5.8 g/L
- RS: 0.8 g/l
Floral aromas merge with hints of racy, citrus, pineapple and mineral characters coupled with a soft marine influence. On the palette, it is a refreshing, elegant wine while retaining balanced acidity. The mouth feel bursts with fresh fruit and lingers on the finish.