Vermentino, Toscana IGT — 2021
- The Label: Represents the fluid, the essence of the ancient costal lake of Prelius, what now is known as the Maremma Toscana around Grosseto. The lake has slowly disappeared due to the drainage during the 1930’s and now the only fluid that’s left is the excellent wine making tradition of the region. The vineyards of Prelius are located on a hilltop along the shores of the ancient lake, 5 miles from the sea facing the majestic Tuscan Archipelago.
- Appellation: Toscana IGT
- Cultivation: 100% organic
- Composition: 100% Vermentino
- Size: 2.1 hectares (5 acres) total
- Vine Age: Planted in 2005
- Soil: 80% sand, 15% clay, 5% silt and gravel
- Elevation: 120 - 170 feet
- Exposure: South-southeast
- Density: 4,400 vines/acre
- Training: Guyot
The 2021 vintage will be remembered for the frost that hit Maremma, Tuscany on April 8, causing serious damage to the premature grapes. April and May were notable for lower than average temperatures and low rainfall. The summer was very hot and there was little rain. The harvest began a little earlier than expected.
- Harvest Date(s): August 30
- Fermentation: Stainless steel tanks, on the lees for 6 months
- Aging: 3 month in bottle
- Alcohol: 14%
- TA: 5.3 g/L
Floral aromas merge with hints of racy, citrus, pineapple and mineral characters coupled with a soft marine influence. On the palette, it is a refreshing, elegant wine while retaining balanced acidity. The mouth feel bursts with fresh fruit and lingers on the finish.
Vermentino Maremma Toscana DOC — 2021 – Wine Advocate – 90 Points
“A tonic & vibrant wine with lots of citrus, sage and some sharp mineral detailing. You get great value with this fun, lean-bodied white wine that would pair with a classic seafood salad with a mix of mussels, squid and shrimp with olive oil and lemon juice.”