Yantra, Toscana IGT — 2022
Yantra (yawn-tra) is Sanskrit for “instrument” or “machine.” A Yantra is a mandala — a map, chart or geometric pattern which is often used to reference geometrical drawings used in the Indian mystical tradition.
- Grape Source: 100% estate vineyards
- Location: Hillside vineyards surrounded by the lush woods of Monteverdi Marittimo between Bolgheri and Castagneto Carducci overlooking the Mediterranean Sea
- Cultivation: 100% organic (not certified); all work is done by hand
- Size: 10 hectares (24.7 acres)
- Vine Age: Planted 2001-2002
- Soil: Medium-textured; black slate, granite rock and clay
- Elevation: 400 meters (1,300 feet) above sea level
- Density: 9,300 vines/hectare (3,764 vines/acre)
- Training: Guyot
The 2022 vintage was similar to the 2017 vintage but unlike the latter, November, December 2021 and January 2022 were quite rainy and served as a reserve for the very dry first 7 months. We produced slightly less than usual, but we brought very balanced and high quality grapes to the cellar.
- Harvest Date(s): August 30 - September 28
- Fermentation: In stainless-steel tanks at controlled temperatures; with indigenous yeast; 100% malolactic
- Maceration: Cold soak maceration for 2-3 days
- Aging: 8 months in 4-6 year-old French oak barrels
- Bottle Aging: 6 months in bottle
- Varietal Composition: 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 40% Merlot
- Alcohol: 14%
- TA: 5.0 g/L
- p H: 3.67
- RS: 0.38 g/L
- Optimum Drinking: 3-5 years
Very fruity and aromatic nose, with nice acidity and minerality at the end, with soft and smooth tannins.