Noblesse ’48 Mesi’ Metodo Classico Brut Carricante — 2018
Selection of grapes from vineyards located on the eastern and southern slopes of Mount Etna, particularly suitable given the high altitude and abundant luminosity.
- Appellation: Terre Siciliane IGT Carricante Spumante
- Vine Age: 20 to 60 years old vines, trained as bushes or trellised
- Soil: Volcanic sands, rich in minerals, with sub-acid reaction
- Elevation: 700 to 850 m s.l.m. / 2,300 to 2,800 ft a.s.l.
- Density: 6,000 to 7,000 vinestocks per hectare (2,429 - 2,834 vines per acre)
Grapes are hand picked and softly pressed without any de-stemming. Fermentation takes place in steel tanks at a controlled temperature of 16-18°C. The wine is left to mature on its lees until late spring, when it is bottled with selected yeasts to induce the second fermentation. The disgorgement and dosage occur after 48 months. The wine then rests for at least three months.
- Varietal Composition: The very first and still extremely rare sparkling wine made from Carricante, the noble indigenous white grape of the Etna volcano. The berries are medium-sized with very pruinose skin and a green-yellowish color. The bunches are of average length and scattered.
- Alcohol: 12%
color – Pale yellow with bright greenish tints
perlage – Numerous, fine and persistent bubbles
scent – Intense, delicate scents of orange and lemon flower and ripe apple
taste and body – Dry, elegant, with a pleasant acidity and nice aromatic persistence.
- Serving Suggestions: Light- to medium-bodied, elegant and refined sparkling wine that may be served throughout a meal, especially with delicate fried fish and seafood recipes. Serve at 6 – 8 °C.
Noblesse ’48 Mesi’ Metodo Classico Brut Carricante — 2018 – 92 Points
“The 2018 Brut Metodo Classico Carricante Noblesse XLVIII, refined for forty-eight months on its lees, smolders up with a rich blend of crushed hazelnuts, yellow straw and ginger-spiked apples. This mixes savory and sweet, with salty minerals and confectionary spices mingling across a wave of creamy bubbles. The 2018 finishes with a saline tinge and pretty inner florals, tapering off with medium length and spicy.”