NOI4, Bolgheri DOC – 2013
NOI4 (noy-kwah-tro) translates to “the four of us.” It represents the four members of the Ratti family, and is used at the entrance of their property. NOI4 was also the fourth wine added to Tenuta Sette Cieli’s portfolio and there was a team of four people that chose to make this wine.
- Grape Source: A nearby winery’s vineyards
- Location: Bolgheri (this is a wine born of the desire to explore new territory)
- Size: 3.7 acres
- Vine Age: 25 years
- Soil: 40% sand, 30% clay, 30% silt
- Elevation: Sea level
- Density: 2,810 vines/acre
- Training: Cordon training and guyot
A wet spring led to early growing challenges, particularly during flowering. Cool weather in August further slowed the already delayed growth of the vines and fruit. Warmer fall conditions gave way to slow ripening which in turn kept acid levels fresh and balanced tannin maturation without aggressive sugar levels.
- Harvest Date(s): September 10 - October 15
- Fermentation: In stainless-steel tanks at controlled temperatures; with indigenous yeast; 100% malolactic
- Maceration: Cold for 3-4 days
- Barrel Aging: 14 months in 60-gallon French oak (50% new)
- Varietal Composition: 70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Merlot, 10% Petit Verdot, 5% Cabernet Franc
- Production (in cases): 1,500
- Cases Imported: 400
- Alcohol: 14%
Ripe, sweet fruit gives way to a wine with a very defined and yet very different character when compared to the other Tenuta Sette Cieli wines.
NOI4, Bolgheri DOC – 2013 – 93 points – Wine Spectator
“Aromas and flavors of black currant, cedar, tar and earth combine in this dense, juicy red. Refined tannins provide support as this remains fresh and long on the mineral-infused aftertaste.”
NOI4, Bolgheri DOC – 2013 – 93 points – jamessuckling.com
“Pretty spice and dark fruit character with hints of blackberry and black pepper. Medium body, dense and balanced palate. Delicious texture and fruit…”