NOI4, Bolgheri DOC — 2020
Noi4 (noy-kwah-tro) translates to “the four of us”. This is because it is composed by four varieties and it was conceived by a team of four. We also like the idea of sharing the bottle among four people.
- Grape Source: Estate managed vineyard located in the heart of the Bolgheri DOC
- Location: Bolgheri, Tuscany
- Size: 5.0 hectares (12.35 acres)
- Vine Age: 19 years
- Soil: 40% sand, 30% clay, 30% silt
- Elevation: 76 meters (249 feet) above sea level
- Density: 5,680 vines/hectare (2,300 vines/acre)
- Training: Cordon Trained
2020 was an interesting vintage, characterized by a very balanced season with good production. A fresh spring gave way to a hot summer, creating an optimal environment for the grapes. This yielded great ripeness, high concentration, and nice elegance due to the freshness of the acidity.
- Harvest Date(s): September 10-October 15
- Fermentation: In stainless-steel tanks at controlled temperatures; with indigenous yeast; 100% malolactic
- Maceration: Cold with dry ice for 5 days
- Aging: 8 months in French oak (50% new), followed by a minimum 6 months in bottle
- Varietal Composition: Cabernet Sauvignon 70%, Merlot 15%, Petit Verdot 10%, Cabernet Franc 5%
- Alcohol: 14.5%
A blend born of the desire to explore new territories, refined in barriques for 8 months. This wine is very expressive in what was the vintage 2020. It’s characterized by a very elegant nose, fresh fruitiness, balanced acidity, good persistence with an interesting minerality. In the mouth the tannins are very soft and round.
NOI4, Bolgheri DOC — 2020 – Wine Enthusiast – 91 Points
“The herbaceous, succulent nose is like a pie cooling on the sill of a forest cabin, as eucalyptus, mint and fennel mingle with dark chocolate and black cherry, above an immediate saltiness. Black cherry highlights the palate, with bitter, medicinal undertones. Substantial acidity balances the dusty, clingy tannins.”
NOI4, Bolgheri DOC — 2020 – Wine Spectator – 92 Points
“A tightly wound style, this is all about elegance as the black currant, blackberry, floral, stone and Tuscan macchia flavors unwind on the palate. Vibrant and balanced, supple in texture and long on the finish.”
Noi4 Bolgheri DOC — 2020 – Jeb Dunnuck – 93 Points
“Ripe with black plum compote, pencil shaving, and menthol tobacco. On the palate, it is full and balanced, with a bit of iron rich meatiness, an elegant texture, ripe tannins, and fresh acidity. This is a balanced and versatile wine.”